Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Ten Years of Blogging (With Donna Wallace)





Want to add a caption to this image? Click the Settings icon.

Over the last ten days, I've been in cahoots with my darling James Wallace, who has been helping me pull off a celebration, of sorts, for the best and dearest, loveliest and most beautiful-est Donna K. Wallace.
I would not be published without her, and there's no hyperbole there. It is the God's own truth.
Ten years ago TODAY, my mentor, my spiritual director, my muse told me, "Daisy, if you want to be a writer, you need to start a blog. You want to be published? That's great. You need an online presence, and you need a place people can go when they search your name. And you need to start right now and build something significant."
That day, I stumbled upon some newfangled site called Weebly and started a blog.
It was kind of adorable back in the day. It's crazy to think that I've been blogging pretty much once a week for the last ten years. Where HAS the time gone?
So, ten days ago (on Mother's Day, in fact) James secretly set the first of ten bags containing ten items each to be delivered over the next ten days to celebrate ten years...
Donna was surprised, confused, baffled and, at one point, totally creeped out. James and I didn't know if we could keep it going for ten whole days, but we persevered! And we got her.
Tonight we Facetimed. He got me on the line and called Donna in from the other room. She came into their office, saw the tenth gift bag, saw my face on the screen and cried.
As did I.
Tonight, I celebrate a treasure of a woman who has changed the entire trajectory of people's lives -- not just authors but dear ones who have come to her for healing and love and respite and sanctuary.
She's magic.
She's extraordinary.
And she's mine.
Tonight, I am sharing with you the very first blog post I ever wrote. Happy Ten Year Anniversary to us! I hope you love it.
Oh, Donna, Oh Dah-ah-na…
May 23, 2007
So, Miss Donna has advised me that I needed a blog to post my writings (in case they might be brilliant or some such thing) so that people could respond to them. Because I pretty much do whatever my wonderful friend tells me to do, I’ve done it with lightning-fast promptness. Ah, now… Where to start? Where to start?
Daisy



Want to add a caption to this image? Click the Settings icon.

Daisy Rain Martin is an author, speaker, advocate, and educator as well as a founding member of The Flying M-Inklings Writing Group. She lives with her husband, Sean-Martin, in the beautiful state of Idaho and teaches English and Literature during the school year to the best 7th graders the world over. Daisy spends her summers writing, speaking, researching, creating, gardening, and canning.
Hope Givers: Hope is Here, is the sequel, of sorts, to her comedic, spiritual memoir, Juxtaposed: Finding Sanctuary on the Outside, which was her publisher's (Christopher Matthews) #1 top selling book in 2012. She has also written a free e-book for anyone who has or is currently being sexually abused called, If It’s Happened to You, which appears in its entirety in Hope Givers. Please follow her weekly blog, SATURDAISIES, which addresses a plethora of current issues including child advocacy, all things hilarious, and matters of the heart. She would love for you to join the Rainy Dais Community by friending her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

No comments: